19.1.06

What's the project about?

The initial idea behind my diploma project came about when I was playing around with the idea of controlling computer games using toys as input devices. It seems to me that toys in general have something natural and intuitive to them in regards to the ways we interact with them. Manipulating a doll or an action figure is relatively easy and intuitive for most kids. On the other hand manipulating the digital representation of the same doll or action figure in a video game isn't necessarily that intuitive. I thought it would be worthwhile to try and identify some of the intuitive interaction patterns in toys and transfer them into game interaction patterns. In other words I wanted to find out if it was possible to develop an alternative game control device based on interaction patterns taken from a selected range of toys.

A natural way to start this process would probably be to create categories containing different ways of interacting with toys. The next phase would involve buliding games and controllers based on these categories. After visiting a few toy stores I grew slightly worried that there simply wouldn't be enough toy categories around for creating a broad range of game and controller prototypes. Therefore I tried to expand the initial idea to also include other objects that wasn't necessarily related to toys.

I finally landed on everyday objects as the focus for the project. Everyday objects can obviously mean a lot of different things. Depending on who you ask an everyday object can be a dinner plate, a rolling pin, a hammer, a mobile phone and possibly all of them at the same time. In this project I will primarily focus on the everyday objects that aren't digital like i.e. the mobile phone. I'm not saying mobile phone can't be used as a game controller because it certainly can. I just choose to focus on the objects one wouldn't necessarily associate with game controllers.

At the end of the project I hope to end up with a range of everyday objects with sensors mounted on them and a number of prototype games for them to control.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home